Ukadiche Modak । Steamed Modak Recipe
Ukadiche or steamed modak is a sweet dish made specially during Ganesh Chaturthi. Lord Ganesha loves these modak so we offers it as a Prasad during Ganapati.
Modak doesn’t need large ingredient list, it just required jaggery, rice flour and coconut.
The Modak recipe is easy, just the shaping step is little-bit difficult and time consuming.
But you can make this easy by using a mould rather than shaping them by hands. If you’re a beginner or don’t have much time, then you can use moulds. Once you get expertise, you can shape them by hands easily.
Cooking Time : 60 minutes
- 1/2 cup coconut, freshly grated
- 1/4 cup jaggery, grated
- 1/4 tsp green cardamom powder
- a handful of dry fruits – cashewnusts, raisins etc.
- 1/2 cup rice flour
- a pinch of salt
- 2/3 cup water
- 1/4 tsp ghee
- Heat a pan on medium flame and add coconut.
- Now add jaggery. Jaggery will start to melt. Stir till the mixture gets a golden color.
- Now add cardamom powder and dry fruits. Mix well.
- Cook till the mixture gets dry.
- Keep aside to cool down.
- In a pan, add water and salt. Keep it on medium heat.
- When it come to a boil, add rice flour. Mix well.
- Keep aside with a cover on it.
- After 5 minutes, remove it in a plate.
- While it is warm, start kneading it. Mix water as required. Apply some oil/ghee to make a smooth dough.
- Make small balls out of the dough.
- Now, if you’re making modak by mould, you need to apply some oil/ghee to the mould. Add one ball and make a center by pressing it tightly.
- Now add the filling and seal the bottom.
- Open the mould and take out the modak gently. Keep it in a plate. Cover with a damp cloth.
- Likewise, prepare all the modak.
- If you’re doing it by hand, you need to apply some oil/ghee on the palm. Take one ball and make it flatten by hand gently.
- Keep shaping to get a small puri like structure.
- Add filling, pinch the edges and start pleating.
- Carefully get all the pleats together and seal it.
- Place the modak in a plate covered. Start making rest of the modaks.
- Add water in steamer and put for boiling.
- Put all the modaks either on banana leaf or plastic paper in a plate.
- Put the plate in the steamer, and steam for 15 minutes.
- Let them cool. Remove them and keep them in a plate.
- Offer the tasty modak as a Prasad to Lord Ganesha.
- Serve to your family, friends.