Ukadiche modak or steamed modak is a very delicious and favourite dish specially made for Ganesh Chaturthy festival. On 1st day of Ganesh Chaturthy, Modak will be prepared as a Prasad and offered to Ganapati bappa, then to us.
Modak is made up of rice flour shells filled with coconut and jaggery mixture inside.
Modak making is quite time-consuming and somewhat messy thing to prepare, so we usually avoid making them on usual days. But with practice, you can make better modak at home easily. Try the recipe this Ganapati and serve your family the hot, mouth watering Modak.
Cooking Time : 1 hour and 15 minutes
Servings : 12 Modak
- 1 cup rice flour
- 1.5 cup water
- 1/4 tsp oil
- pinch of salt
- 1.5 cup jaggery
- 1.5 cup grated coconut
- 1/4 tsp green cardamoms
- pinch of jaiphal powder
Outer Shell –
- Heat a non-stick pan and boil 1.5 cup water.
- Slowly add the boiled water in the rice flour.
- Knead it to a smooth dough.
- Cover it and keep it aside.
- Heat ghee in a pan on lower flame.
- Add cardamom powder and jaiphal powder. Fry for 2 – 3 seconds.
- Next, add grated coconut and jaggery. Mix well.
- Cook the mixture till jaggery melts. Stir continuously.
- Switch off the flame when moisture from jaggery begins to dry.
- Avoid overcooking, else jaggery will become more harden.
- Keep the mixture aside.
Preparing Modak –
- Take out the dough and divide it into 11 equal parts.
- Make small balls out of it. Balls should be smooth without having any cracks.
- Before you start preparing Modak, keep water for boiling in a pan.
- Grease the pan with little oil or ghee.
- Take one ball and flatten on your palm. Apply some oil/ghee to plams, it will make the process much easier.
- Put the filling in the center and start pressing the edges.
- Bring together all the edges and join them removing extra portion from the top.
- Make all the modak this way and put them in a steamer.
- On low flame, cook the modak for 15 – 20 minutes with lid on the pan.
- Remove the modak onto a plate and are now ready to offer to lord Ganesha.
Tip – You can use modak mould to prepare the modak even faster.